Come be a part of the largest North American union representing merchant Mariners! The Seafarers International Union is a dynamic organization dedicated to job security by always staying ahead of the needs of the industry. SIU members could work in shipboard departments such as the deck, engine, and steward while aboard many types of vessels to include commercial containerships and tankers, military support ships, tugboat and barges, gaming vessels, and many more.
Sail to Your Future
Explore the world and earn while you do it! A career in the Maritime trade is a rewarding one. You will learn new skill and have the chance to build a successful career while also exploring the world. Be a part of this adventure of a lifetime.
The Seafarers International Union, Atlantic, Gulf, Lakes and Inland Waters, AFL-CIO, represents professional United States merchant mariners sailing aboard U.S.-flag vessels in the deep sea, Great Lakes and inland trades.
SIU members sail in the three shipboard departments: deck, engine and steward. They work aboard a wide variety of vessels, including commercial containerships and tankers, military support ships, tugboats and barges, passenger ships, gaming vessels and many more.
Chartered in 1938, the SIU prides itself on representing the best-trained, most efficient crews in the world. A key to meeting that standard is the Paul Hall Center for Maritime Training and Education, located in Piney Point, Md. The center is a vocational training facility operated by an SIU-affiliated entity.
SIU: Training the Next Generation of Merchant Mariners
The Application Process
- Read all information about the program before filling out the application.
- Write a 400-word essay on “Why I want to be a Merchant Mariner.
- Provide 2 letters of recommendation.
- *If military provide a copy of your DD-214.
- One photo
- Mail or email all information.
- Contact your local SIU hall (If you have not already been contacted) to set up your reading and math test.
- Reach out to AWP to help you with the next steps. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
*All information and test must be submitted within 30 days of submitting your online application*
**You MUST take the reading and math test in the United States at a SIU Hall in order to complete Step 1**